If you are looking for a part-time or weekend job here are some hints and tips to get you started!
1. Consider what times and days you can work. By law if you are 16 or under you can only work certain times and do certain types of jobs. Click here for more information.
2. Consider where you'd like to work: in a shop, cinema, restaurant, sports centre? Then call or drop in to those that are local to you.
3. Get your CV up to scratch! You can use the CV Creator on this site.
4. Your CV must be specific to the kind of work you are looking for. In your personal statement you need to explain the hours you are available, if you have any experience in that area and the skills you can bring to the job.
5. For example: if you are looking for a job in a shop what qualities will they be looking for in potential staff? To be friendly, helpful and good at being on your feet etc.
6. Ask friends, family, teachers, neighbours, parents, carers - anyone you know if they can help you find a job.
7. Check out these sites that advertise jobs specifically for students:
8. If you randomly hand your CV out to shops etc, try to go first thing in the morning before they get busy.
9. Always follow your application up. Call or drop in to find out how your application is doing and, if you feel confident enough, try to speak to the manager directly to see if they will consider you.
10. If you are just looking for work experience, consider volunteering.
Where else can I look?
* Local newspapers in the jobs section
* By walking around your high street, town or mall. Jobs are often advertised in shop windows
* Job websites such as www.check4jobs.com